In April of 1947, a handful of business people interested in the future of Sulphur Springs (which pretty much was North Tampa in those days), organized the Sulphur Springs Chamber of Commerce. The meeting was called to discuss a fire control district in Sulphur Springs. As Senator Sheldon was unable to attend the meeting, the group decided to use the opportunity to officially form a Chamber of Commerce. They had informally discussed this on several occasions. Mr. J. L. Young was appointed temporary chairman and the first official meeting was held on April 4, 1947, at the American Legion Hall on Bird Street.
Aside from the many ways our Chamber has helped promote business interests, it has always been aware of a responsibility to the community as a whole. A list of accomplishments would include: